How to write about a person or experience that has impacted on your life.
Most people can recall a time in their lives that they could believe would make interesting reading for their family and friends. Some examples would include:
- My craxy (or brave, or famous or clever...) friend, work mate, or relative.
- My most interesting, or enjoyable, or challenging, or dangerous time.
- Th eexploits of my best or worst boss.
- The people who have teh most influenced me.
- My travel adventures areound Australia, overseas...
- How I dealt with a personal, or family, or work crisis.
- ANY story about a time when you have thought, "I should write this down one day".
- If you think you don't have a story to tell, I there is a "Story Prompter" which will help you remember one.
What stops people from writing about their life experiences?
Many people believe they don't have the talent to write their stories - we can help that! Just as a builder would not start building a house without an architectural plan,, professional authors like Lee Childs (Jack Reacher series), James Patterson (Alex Cross series) don't just sit down and start writing - they all have a writing plan that helps them stary on track and to generate new ideas. In this workshop we will show you a writing plan that is easy to follow and will help get you writing your story.
Here is the good news!
Previous writing experience is NOT a prerequisite. Your writing will alwasys be done at your pace - there will never be any pressure to complete a story by a deadline or even to complete it at all. you will also make the decision as to whether you feeel comfortable shareing your story with the rest of the group, or the Shed. In addition, regarding grammar, spelling ...go out the window. Here, the focus will be on your story not how an English teacher would read it. Of course, if having written your story you wish to refine it further, then editing can help with that - we could look at the skills of editing later if anyone wishes to.
About the Facilitator.
- Former Manager of the Learning (Training) and Development Unit of a large multinational company.
- Internatioinally published author and researcher on the topic of adjustment to retirement.
- Author of Enjoying Retirement published by Hachette Australia, 2018.